On day 6 of the ongoing Tokyo Olympics, India kicked-off the proceedings on a positive note as archer Atanu Das advanced after beating Chinese Taipei’s Yu-Cheng Deng in men’s individual round of 32 match. Also the men’s hockey team defeated Argentina 3-1 in pool A match to confirm a spot in quarterfinal.
Meanwhile, PV Sindhu entered the quarterfinals in badminton women’s singles after beating Denmark’s Mia Blichfeldt 21-15, 21-13 in the round of 16.
Rahi Sarnobat scored 96, 97, 94 (287/300) in Precision round of 25m pistol Qualification. Rowers Arjun Jat and Arvind Singh finish in the fifth position with a time mark of 6:29.66 in Men’s Lightweight Double Sculls Final B, finishing 11th overall.
Boxer Mary Kom will be in action later in the day.
- Sajan Prakash finishes second in Heat 2 of Men’s 100m Butterfly.
- Women’s 51kg Round of 16 Bout: Mary Kom knocked out, loses to Ingrit Lorena Victoria Valencia of Colombia by 3:2 split decision.
- Satish Kumar beats Jamaica’s Ricardo Brown by a split decision in Men’s Super Heavyweight (+91kg) Round of 16 bout and enters quarterfinals.
- Atanu Das stuns former Olympic & World Champion Oh Jinhyek of South Korea 6-5 in 2nd round and advances to next round.
- Atanu wins five-set thriller 6-4 (26-26, 27-28, 28-26, 27-28, 28-26) against Deng Yu-Cheng in Men’s Individual 1/32 Eliminations.
- India advanced to quarters after beating Olympic champions Argentina 3-1.
- PV Sindhu enters quarterfinals with a 21-15, 21-13 win over Denmark’s Mia Blichfeldt in the 40-minute affair.
- Rowers Arjun Lal, Arvind Singh finish 11th in men’s lightweight double sculls.