Less than thousand people to witness Tokyo Olympics opening ceremony: Official

Only about 950 people, including officials and reporters, will be allowed to witness the Tokyo Olympics’ opening ceremony on Friday in the main stadium, a senior official from the organising committee has said.

Hidemasa Nakamura, chief of Tokyo 2020 main operation centre, told a press briefing that apart from the above-mentioned group, the rest allowed into the stadium are performers and athletes participating in the opening ceremony.

Notably, 12 new positive Covid-19 cases were reported in the Tokyo Olympics on Thursday, with two infected foreign athletes in the athletes village.

A total of 87 people associated with the Olympics have so far tested positive for the virus in Tokyo since the local organising committee started to record the figures on July 1.

Commenting on it, Nakamura said: “We hope to provide a safe environment for all, and of course, we need everyone’s help.”

Fans have already been banned from the showpiece event due to Covid concerns.

News Desk

Read Previous

Guinea reverse its decision to pull out of Tokyo Olympics

Read Next

Of over 300 Brazilian athletes, only two to participate at Tokyo Olympics opening ceremony

%d bloggers like this: