England sack head coach Chris Silverwood after Ashes failure

Chris Silverwood has left the role of England men’s cricket team head coach, the England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) announced on Thursday.

Silverwood’s departure came a day after Ashley Giles, who appointed him in 2019, was sacked from his role of England managing director of the men’s cricket.

The developments comes in the wake of England’s dismal performance in the recently-concluded Ashes where the Joe Root-led side suffered a humiliatuing 0-4 defeat by the hands of Australia. After the Ashes series, Silverwood’s position too was under scrutiny.

Meanwhile, former England captain Andrew Strauss has been appointed the head coach on a temporary basis and will oversee the appointment of an interim coach for the tour of the West Indies in March.

Commenting on the development, ECB Chief Executive Officer Tom Harrison said: “During his time in the role Chris has given absolutely everything to make a success of it. He is a man of great integrity, who players and staff alike have enjoyed working with.”

“Under Chris, England Men’s white ball teams have been ranked first and second in the world while he also led the Test team to a number of series wins including away in South Africa and Sri Lanka.He has led the England Men’s team with great resilience and empathy through an incredibly challenging period for English cricket, and he deserves our sincere thanks and gratitude,” he added.

Announcing the temporary appointment of Strauss, Harrison said: “In the coming days Andrew Strauss will appoint a caretaker coach for the tour of the West Indies and will then consider the appropriate coaching structures to help England move forwards.”

On the other hand, Chris Silverwood said: “It’s been an absolute honour to be England Head Coach, and I’m extremely proud to have worked alongside our players and staff. I want to thank them all for the hard work and commitment they have given during my time in the role and I wish them all the very best moving forward.

“The last two years have been very demanding but I have really enjoyed my time with the team and working with Rooty and Morgs, and I am very proud of this group considering the challenges. I leave with fond memories and I am now looking forward to spending some quality time at home with my family and embracing the next chapter,” he added.

Earlier on Thursday, former England cricketer Ashely Giles had also stepped down from his post as managing director of England men’s cricket and was replaced on an interim basis by Andrew Strauss.

Commenting on the development, Tom Harrison, ECB Chief Executive Officer, had said: “I’m extremely grateful to Ashley for his commitment and contribution to England men’s cricket over the last three years. Under his leadership the teams have scored some notable results, most memorably the dramatic victory in the 2019 ICC Men’s Cricket World Cup, while dealing with some of the most challenging times English cricket has ever been through.”

On the other hand, Giles said: “I’d like to thank everyone for the support they’ve given me, particularly all the staff and the players, as well as the Board for giving me this opportunity. The past couple of years have been incredibly challenging and I’m proud of what we’ve been able to deliver in the toughest of circumstances. This has undoubtedly protected the future of the game in England and Wales.”

News Desk

Read Previous

Ranji Trophy to begin from Feb 10: BCCI to state associations

Read Next

Pakistan pacer Mohammad Hasnain’s action found illegal; suspended from bowling in international cricket

%d bloggers like this: