England pacer Ollie Robinson apologises for racist, sexist tweets

Following a series of tweets of racist and sexist nature resurfaced during Ollie Robinson’s Test debut against New Zealand at Lord’s, the England pacer has made an apology over his remarks he had posted as a teeneager.

On Wednesday, which was the first day of the first Test between hosts England and the Kiwis, Robinson had led the attack for the Three Lions after bagging two wickets for 50 runs.

However, his performance was overshadowed as the old Twitter posts of hims resurfaced, leaving the 27-year-old pacer embarassed.

Speaking after the end of Day 1, he said: “On the biggest day of my career so far, I am embarrassed by the racist and sexist tweets that I posted over eight years ago, which have today become public. I want to make it clear that I’m not racist and I’m not sexist.”

“I deeply regret my actions, and I am ashamed of making such remarks. I was thoughtless and irresponsible, and regardless of my state of mind at the time, my actions were inexcusable. Since that period, I have matured as a person and fully regret the tweets,” he added.

“Today should be about my efforts on the field and the pride of making my Test debut for England, but my thoughtless behaviour in the past has tarnished this,”the pacer further added.

Meanwhile, England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) chief executive Tom Harrison said that Robinson would now face a disciplinary process.

“Any person reading those words, particularly a woman or person of colour, would take away an image of cricket and cricketers that is completely unacceptable,” said Harrison.

“We have a zero-tolerance stance to any form of discrimination and there are rules in place that handle conduct of this nature,” he added.

News Desk

Read Previous

Ravi Shastri bats for ‘best of three’ WTC final

Read Next

Conor McGregor tops chart for world’s highest-paid athletes; Messi, Ronaldo follows

%d bloggers like this: