Alex Carey will make his Test debut in the opening Ashes Test in Brisbane as the 30-year-old has been named as the wicketkeeper for the contest by Cricket Australia (CA).
Carey will now become the 461st player to represent Australia’s men’s Test cricket.
Carey was inducted in the squad as a wicketkeeper after Paine resigned as Australia Test captain and had decided to take an indefinite break from the game left just few days before the much-awaited Ashes series. On the other hand, Pat Cummins was appointed as Test captain with Steve Smith named his deputy.
Commenting on the development, an elated Carey said: “I am incredibly humbled by this opportunity. It’s an exciting build-up for what is a huge series ahead.”
“My focus is on preparing and playing my part in helping Australia secure the Ashes. This is also for my dad who has been my coach, mentor and mate, my mum, my wife Eloise, kids Louis and Clementine, my brother and sister and all of those who have supported me. I will be doing my absolute best to make them and our country proud,” he added.
Speaking about Carey’s inclusion in the squad, George Bailey, chairman of the selection panel, said: “Alex has been a regular member of the national side in white ball cricket, particularly in the one-day game. He is an excellent cricketer and a fine individual who will bring many great strengths into the team.”
Last week, Paine had opted for an indefinite leave of absence from all forms of cricket for the foreseeable future. His decision came just after a week he had announced to step down as captain of the Australia Test team following a sexting scandal.
On November 19, Paine had announced to step down from his post as the skipper of Australia Test team. Paine’s decision cames in the wake of an off-field scandal, where he had sent explicit text mesages to a female co-worker at Cricket Tasmania in 2017.
in a press conference in Hobart on Friday.
“Today, I’m announced my decision to stand down as the captain of the Australian men’s test team. It’s an incredibly difficult decision, but the right one for me, my family, and cricket,” Paine read out from a statement at the presser.
“As a background on my decision, nearly four years ago, I was involved in a text exchange with a then-colleague. At the time, the exchange was the subject of a thorough CA Integrity Unit investigation, throughout which I fully participated in and openly participated in. That investigation and a Cricket Tasmania HR investigation at the same time found that there had been no breach of the Cricket Australia Code of Conduct. Although exonerated, I deeply regretted this incident at the time, and still do today. I spoke to my wife and family at the time and am enormously grateful for their forgiveness and support. We thought this incident was behind us and that I could focus entirely on the team, as I have done for the last three or four years,” he added.
The first Test of the five-match rubber between hosts Australia and England will begin on December 8 at The Gabba in Brisbane.