Tokyo Olympics 2020 Live Updates: Ace India boxer MC Mary Kom and paddler Manika Batra won their respective games to advance to the next round. Earlier, G Sathiyan crashed out in Table Tennis singles whilemSania Mirza and Ankita Raina too, bowed out of tennis Women’s Doubles.
On the other hand, PV Sindhu began her campaign with a comfortable win.
- In 100m backstroke men’s event, Srihari Nataraj failed to advance after finishing in the heats with a time of 54.31.
- Also, it is end of the road for Maana Patel as she finished 39th in the overall rankings with a time of 1:05.20 7.32 and has been knocked out in the heats for the Women’s 100m Backstroke semi-finals.
- Indian men’s hockey lose to Australia 1-7 in their second game.
- Kaushik Manish lost 1-4 to England’s Luke McCormack in the Round of 32 of men’s light preliminaries.
- Mary Kom wins by split decision and enters in the round of 16. The ace Indian boxer beats Hernandez Garcia Miguelina of Dominica 4:1.
- Indian star paddler Manika Batra earned a hard-fought second round victory over Margaryta Pesotska of Ukraine.
After losing the first two games 4-11, 4-11 Manika made a comeback and won the next two games 11-7, 12-10. Pesotska won the 5th game 11-8 before Manika staged a comeback to win the last two affairs 11-5, 11-7.
TT: G Sathiyan crashes out
- A massive upset for team India as G Sathiyan, ranked 38 in the World, was shown the exit door by Lam Siu Hang (ranked 95) from Hong Kong 7-11, 11-7,11-4, 11-5, 9-11, 10-12, 6-11.
- After a brilliant start in the first set, Indian duo of Sania Mirza and Ankita Raina crash out of the women’s doubles. The Indian pair lost 6-0, 6-7(0), 8-10 to the Kichenok twins of Ukraine.
- In Tennis, Sania Mirza and Ankita Raina lose the second set 6-7(0) against the Ukrainian pair of Nadiia Kichenok and Lyudmyla Kichenok in round 1 of Women’s DoublesThe Indian pair had won the first 6-0.
- Sania Mirza and Ankita Raina have won the first set 6-0 against Ukraine’s Kichenok Liudmyla and Kichenok Nadiia. The Indian duo is 2-1 up in the second set.
- Earlier, it was a disappointing start to India’s 3rd day at the ongoing Tokyo Olympics as both shooters – Manu Bhaker and Yashaswini Deswal fail to qualify for the Women’s 10m air pistol final.
While Manu finished 12th, Yashaswini came 13th.
- On the other hand, Indian rowers Arjun Lal Jat and Arvind Singh finishes third in Repechage event to book their spot in the semifinal.
- Also, PV Sindhu crushes Israel’s Ksenia Polkarpova 21-7, 21-10 without facing any challenge.